Nearby

If you climb the path behind the house: silence and an overwhelming view will be your reward.





Štiavnické vrchy is a Protected Landscape Area (Slovak: Chránená krajinná oblasť Štiavnické vrchy) and is one of the 14 protected landscape areas in Slovakia. It consists of a range of hills of volcanic origin and is the biggest one in Slovakia. The highest mountain is called the sitno (1009 m). A large part of the mountains is covered with beech, oak, birch and fir. There are 24 lakes called tajchy in the Štiavnica Mountains.   Although they are now integrated in their natural environment, they were originally built in the 18th century as water reservoirs serving the mining industry. At the time there were 60 of these artificial lakes. These lakes with the beautiful town of Stiavnica are inscribed on the Unesco World Heritage List.

Nowadays the lakes are used for recreation.  


The surroundings of the house offer all kinds of possibilities for hikers, cyclists, swimmers and other nature or sports loving persons.

picture: Jan Dudas

Vyhne


'Kamenne more'
Interesting naturel site of stone-blocks of about 5ha. The protected area represents the largest 'Stone-block sea' in the volcanic zone of the Western Carpathian mountains. The rocks are covered with rare mosses and lichens and if you are lucky you might see the protected Common Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis).


Banská Štiavnica

The old medieval mining centre grew into a town with Renaissance palaces, 16th-century churches, elegant squares and castles and a calvary. The urban centre blends into the surrounding landscape, which contains vital relics of the mining and metallurgical activities of the past.

This place is restored thanks to her status as world heritage. Not only can you admire the beautiful houses, but also enjoy the most extraordinary teas in the teahouse which is located in the former prison or enjoy spectacular chocolate drinks in a spectacular loungeroom .




THE HOLY TRINITY SQUARE

It was built in the early 16th century and it forms the architectural heart of B. Štiavnica. Its shape had been determined mainly by the Town Hall and the Church of St. Catherine. It is lined by splendid houses originally owned  by rich burghers and mining entrepreneurs. In the middle of the square the eye of each visitor is caught by the stately Holy Trinity Column. It was built out of gratitude for the end of the plague which had troubled the town from 1710 to 1711. Originally it was very simple - its current form is of later origin. I tis the work of the famous sculptor Dionýz Stanetti. The structure is embellished by figures of seven saints.


TOWN HALL  (Radnica)

This house, originally just a groundfloor building, dates back to the 14th century and it used to host the sessions of the town council. In the early 16th century the Chapel of St. Anne was pulled down to give way to the sculptural group of the Virgin. The Tonw Hall´s present aspect dates back to the period of 1787-88 when it was rebuilt. In it's cellars, there used to be the town prison.


THE KNOCKING TOWER  (Klopačka)

This tower-like building with Renaissance and Baroque features dates back to 1681. It contains a sound apparatus which used to remind the miners of the hour when they were to start work. Knocking was also used to announce various festive occasions, miners´meeting, funerals, even as a warning during fires. In the 18th century, the ground floor of this building was turned into a prison for miners convicted by the Mining Court.


THE OLD CASTLE (Starý zámok)

In the early 13th century a Romanesque basilica with three naves was built on a projection shooting off the Paradajz hill - the Church of Saint Mary. In the 15th century a wall was erected to protect the church and the cemetery next to it. In the 1540s the church was rebuild so that it could function as a fortress against the Turkish raids. The vault above the main nave was pulled down - the present courtyard of the castle emerged. Later the walls were fortified. The building complex of the Old Castle includes also the Chapel of St. Michael. This Romanesque rotund building has two parts: the above-ground carnarium was used as a place where dead bodies were laid before burials, in the underground ossarium bones extracted from old graves were kept. There are interesting fragments of 14th century frescoes on the walls of the Chapel. The nearby „Himmelreich" bastion also dates back to the 14th century and it has a history of serving as a prison.

 

THE PIARG GATE  (Piarska brána)

This Renaissance gate was adorned in Baroque style in the 18th century. It was built in 1554 as a part of the fortification system which had two parallel lines and connected individual houses by walls. The main roads leading to the town were protected by six gates, of them only the Piarg Gate has been preserved.


THE NEW CASTLE (Nový zámok)

This is one of the most elegant architectural dominants of the town. It stands as if on guard near the entrance to Banska Stiavnica. The New Castle is a whitevashed Renaissance fortress on the Frauenberg hill and it was built in the period of 1564-71 with the purpose to protect the town against possible invasion of Turkish army. The fortress was rebuilt then, but without significant changes. Nowadays it is a six-floored building with four corner bastions and several embrasures. It used to be a part of the town fortification system. It is also known sa the Virginal or Maidenly Castle, however,  this name is of later origin and it was most probably derved from the name of the hill where the buildind stands. Later the New Castle served also as an observation point.

 

THE CALVARY (Kalvária)

This complex of sacral buildings set in a beatiful scenery is a superb demonstration of human art intertwined with nature´s charms. The corner-stone for the Calvary was set on September 14 th, 1744 and in almost exactly seven years, the complex was finished. The whole project was initiated by the Jesuit priest František Perger. The Calvary consists of 23 objects, representing a true gallery of sacral art, depicting the last moments in the life of Christ. The calvary has been restored in 2011.

 

RESERVOIRS - ARTIFCIAL LAKES AROUND BANSKÁ ŠTIAVNICA (Tajchy)

The Banská Štiavnica area is famous now for its unique hydro-system of artifical lakes - reservois. Its constructin had begun in the early 16 th century and lasted until the mid-19 th century. The whole system consisted of 60 artifcial lakes with the overall capacity
of 7 mil.m3 . The reservois were connected by ditches. Given the fact that the area of Banská Štiavnica never abounded in natural water resources, the ditches were very useful - they collected and kept snow and rain and the resulting water then accumulated in reservoirs. Through a different sort of ditches it flowed to mining machinery. Nowadays there are 23 reservoirs preserved. 


BOTANICAL GARDEN (Botanická záhrada)

This garden of 3,5 ha was completed in the period of 1838-61.The garden is divided in two parts by a road. Both parts contain a variety of domestic and exotic plants, there are altogether about 250 specimen, here. Come and enjoy a rare sight in this climate: gigantic redwoods, Lebanese cedars, Atlantic cedars and other precious flora.


Svätý Anton

THE MANOR HOUSE

The manor house was originally built in baroque style as a two-wing building with arcades surrounding an open courtyard with a baroque stone fountain. In the middle of 18th century, Earl Andrej Kohary completed the process of re-building the manor house into a wealthy four-wing noble residence. The Kohary and Coburg families made an essential contribution in the history of the manor house. Here, they concentrated beautiful pieces of artwork and crafts from various parts of the world (18th – 20th centuries). The manor house has served the purpose of a museum since 1962; currently it is a museum of art, history and hunting. The manor house is surrounded by a beautiful park.

 

Sklene Teplice

Little spa town with 14 springs



Other interesting towns


Banska Bystrica

One of the first towns, that were announced as Town Monument Reservation in Slovakia, is Banská Bystrica. Its history dates back to the times of mining gold and copper in this area. The centrum of Banská Bystrica is a historical heritage and the castle area was announced a National Cultural Monument.


Kremnica

The well preserved medieval town built above important gold mines is the site of the oldest still working mint in the world.


Bratislava

75 minutes drive

The capital of Slovakia with about 500.000 habitants is dominated by a white castle and has an historical centre with many baroque palaces

Other prominent 20th-century structures include the New Bridge across the Danube featuring a UFO-like tower restaurant where they serve delicious meals.


Vienna

2 hours drive

A variety of architectural styles can be found in Vienna, such as the Romanesque Ruprechtskirche and the Baroque Karlskirche. Styles range from classicist buildings to modern architecture. Art Nouveau left many architectural traces in Vienna and of course you can enjoy the architecture of the 20the century by Friedrich Hundertwasser.If you like horses, you should'nt miss the performances of the Spanish Riding School. Furthermore there are of course many theaters, parks (among which the Prater) the famous viennese cafes, opera houses etc.


Budapest

2 hours and 45 minutes drive

The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has listed the view of the Danube embankments and the Buda Castle District - which is one of the most beautiful and romantic parts of the city of Budapest.   The Danube divides the part of Buda fromt Pest. In this fascinating capital Buda you will find the Mathias church, the Citadel, the Castle of Buda, the Baroque churches and Turkish baths of the so-called Water Town and much more!

The Sziget Festival is one of the largest music and cultural festivals in Europe. It is held every August on the Northern Budapest. The week-long festival has grown from a relatively low-profile student event in 1993 to become one of the largest European rock festivals.







Other day trips

Another day trip could be a visit to the Low Tatras (Nizke Tatry), 2 hours drive


Low Tatras

or

Big Fatra